Your questions answered

Have a look at the list of the frequently asked questions below.

Who are Ripe?

We are one of the UK’s leading specialists in niche insurance products. Over 220,000 policyholders have already chosen Ripe for their sports, leisure, personal and business insurance. Our fresh approach to insurance is all about making insurance easy-to-buy, simple-to-understand, jargon-free and excellent value. We ensure that our insurance practices not only meet but exceed the standards set by the Financial Conduct Authority, giving our customers a clear understanding of our insurance products and providing a first-class insurance service. Find out about how we do things differently here.

What is the Ripe Guarantee?

The Ripe Guarantee incorporates all the things that are great about Ripe. With the Ripe Guarantee, you’ll get great cover and exceptional service at the right price. Click here to find out more.

How long will it take for my insurance documents to be delivered once I have purchased the insurance?

Insurance documents are emailed to you but can take up to an hour to arrive. If you have not provided an email address please allow up to 14 days in the post.

Will my contact information be passed on to any marketing companies?

From time to time we may send you promotions which we feel maybe of interest to you from companies within our group and golf partners. We will not sell your data to a third party.

Are my clubs insured in a locker at the golf club?

Yes, they are insured as long as the locker is securely locked.

Are my clubs insured in a car?

Yes, they are insured whilst travelling to, from and during a golfing event. This includes leaving them in a securely locked luggage area at the golf club between the hours of 8am and 10pm.

Is golf equipment covered on a ‘New For Old’ basis?

Yes, equipment replacement is on a ‘New for Old’ basis for items purchased new and up to three years old subject to satisfactory proof of ownership. Items which are older than three years or not purchased new will be replaced on the indemnity value of that equipment at the time of loss or damage. You can extend the standard cover to be for the ‘Life’ of your equipment so in the event of a claim you would receive comparable article(s) of equivalent quality that matches the specification of those following loss or damage, regardless of its age. If you require ‘New For Old For Life’ then simply select this option on your application.

Are my clubs insured in a van?

Yes, but the van must have a secure bulkhead with no access between the cab and the back of the van. You are insured whilst travelling to, from and during a golfing event. This includes leaving them in the van at the golf club between the hours of 8am and 10pm.

Is there a single article limit?

Yes, the different levels of cover have varying single article limits. Please refer to the policy wording for further information. If you wish to remove the single article limit on your policy please telephone our call centre.

Do you really cover the drinks bar bill if I get a hole-in-one?

Yes, as long as you are playing in a recognised 9 or 18-hole medal or club competition and you spend the money in the club house.

Can you cover hole-in-one prize insurance?

No, we don’t offer hole-in-one prize insurance.

Does my household policy cover me for golfing accidents?

Very few household policies will cover you adequately for the risks involved in playing golf. Ask yourself the questions below.

Is cover provided whilst at the golf club, when playing on the course or at the driving range... Golf Care Insurance Cover Average Household Cover
Hit in the eye
Hit in the mouth
Hit another person
Lose your clubs
Your clubs are stolen away from home
Break a window
Dental cover
Hit as a golf spectator
Covered at the driving range

Does a standard Golf Care policy cover me to drive a buggy on the course?

Yes, you will be covered for Public Liability whilst on the course.

If I have an accident in a buggy am I insured?

You are insured for liability but not theft, loss or damage unless you have purchased a specific buggy insurance policy and you own the buggy.

Does the buggy insurance cover me going to and from the golf course?

You will be covered if you have selected a Buggy Home & Club policy.

What are the policy excesses?

*Golf Equipment, Personal Possessions, Golfing Trophies, Dental Treatment £50, Golf Buggy equipment £150, Hospitalisation 24 hours, Loss of Club Subscription 90 days.

There is no excess against Public Liability, Accidental Damage to Third Party Property, Hole-in-One and Personal Accident cover.

*The policy excess can be removed if the policy “Excess Waiver” option is selected for a small charge.

Are there any age restrictions with the insurance?

There are no age restrictions to take out a policy however the limits for Personal Accident do vary dependant on age. These are:

  • If you are under 18, the death benefit is reduced to £1,000
  • If you are over 80, the benefits are reduced to £5,000 and there is no cover for permanent total disablement

Is the policy available to non UK residents?

No, we can only insure UK residents and you must spend at least 6 months of the year in the UK.

Does my health affect me taking out the insurance?

No, as long as you are able to play.

I am a golf professional, can I take out an insurance policy?

Golf Care can only insure amateur golfers. If you are a golf coach, we would recommend you visit: Insure4Sport for insurance.

Am I insured to play abroad?

We have four different policies available, Bronze and Silver are for differing levels of cover in the UK, Gold will cover you throughout Europe and Platinum covers you anywhere in the World. Regardless which policy level you choose you can extend your insurance to cover you throughout the World by simply adding the ‘Worldwide Extension’ on your application.

What countries are covered under the golf European cover?

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Lithuania, Malta, Monaco, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro.

What happens if I go abroad to play and my clubs are lost in transit?

If your clubs are stolen or damaged in transit and you have a Gold (Europe) or Platinum (Worldwide) policy, we would pay for the hire of clubs abroad.

The policy booklet states cover shall only apply in respect of claims brought against you in the United Kingdom, I have Worldwide cover how can this cover my liability if I’m playing abroad?

As a UK resident if you were to be sued following a golfing accident abroad the claim would need to be brought against you in the UK as that is where your assets would be.

Upon joining, what if I think the policy isn't right for me?

We are confident that we have an insurance policy which will suit your requirements so we offer a 14 day, no quibble money back guarantee.

Do I need my original receipts to make a claim?

Original receipts, a Bank or Credit Card Statement or Valuation showing evidence of purchase or supporting document confirming purchase and ownership are required. If you do not have these claims will be dealt with on an indemnity basis.

What form of Valuation is acceptable when making a claim for equipment?

An Insurance Valuation undertaken prior to any loss or damage should be sought when no other evidence of purchase is available. The description should be full and adequately detailed to enable a comparable article(s) of similar quality to be obtained in the event of a claim being submitted to your insurer. It should be compiled on the basis of what a broadly similar article will cost to replace in the unfortunate event of loss or damage. The valuation should represent average retail prices in the usual, local market. The retailer who undertakes the valuation should be the original supplier of the equipment unless this is not possible (e.g. retailer has ceased trading) then a valuation from a recognised golf equipment supplier will be acceptable.

What is the likelihood of me ever actually making a claim?

In this increasingly litigious society, injury claims are becoming far more frequent. There are over 12,400 golf injuries a year that require hospital treatment. In addition Golf Clubs are increasingly being targeted by thieves, millions of pounds worth of golf equipment is stolen every year. In November 2011 a golfer was hit in the eye by a stray ball and was awarded damages of £397,000 ...so why take the risk?

If one of my individual items is stolen, lost or damaged, can I make a claim?

Yes, our policies include cover for individual items.

If you can’t find the answer to your question then our UK based customer service team are on hand to help. You can call us on freephone or email us at admin@golfcare.co.uk.

Get your exclusive golf news here!

Our monthly email newsletter brings you exclusive insight and advice from golfing legend Bernard Gallacher. From training tips and statistics to offers and free golf gifts from us, all straight to your inbox!

Bernard Gallacher
Bernard Gallacher signature
Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email
Please confirm your preferences by selecting from the options below

Your data is safe with us and you can unsubscribe at any time. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

We also work with a few, carefully selected retail and leisure partners. Please click below if it’s ok for us to send you information and offers from these partners from time to time.